The research institute studies different aspects of child and adolescent development in relation to their educational contexts. CDE research focuses on:
- Parenting (child and family functioning)
- Developmental psychopathology
- Juvenile delinquency
- Learning disabilities
- Learning and instruction in school settings
- Student learning and its social context
- Methods and statistics in CDE research.
Besides a focus on theory development in these fields, there is also a focus on studies concerning methodology and statistics in CDE research.
Professional support, guidance, treatment and innovative educational arrangements are important products of the CDE research.